Nutmeg is a beautiful looking exotic, aromatic and sweet spice. It is like a jewel enclosed inside the yellow fruit box. The red aril encasing the nutmeg kernel is the mace. The nutmeg tree needs fertile soil, good rains and a warm and humid climate.
Why is this spice a must during the cold and dry winter days?
* It stimulates digestion and metabolism and supports healthy bowel movement
* It supports healthy lung function
* It boosts immunity
* It supports healthy joints
* It has a calming effect on the mind and helps you to cope with anxiety, worry and nervousness
* It supports good restorative sleep
* It supports healthy skin
Dosage- internal use – just a pinch or maximum 1 gram powder per day
* For good digestion and metabolism, a pinch of nutmeg powder can be used for cooking
* For healthy lungs, take a pinch of nutmeg powder and mix it with honey and take twice a day
* For good sleep and calm mind, add a pinch of nutmeg to warm milk of your choice and drink it before going to bed
* For painful joints, add 50ml of nutmeg oil to 50ml of sesame oil, mix together and apply warm externally to the painful joints
* For healthy skin, make a face pack with nutmeg powder. Take approximately 20gms of nutmeg powder. Add enough cow milk to make a paste and apply on the face. Leave it for 10 minutes and wash the face.
OBS: Never exceed the recommended dosage 1 gm per day, use this spice more in winter and less in summer
I took this picture during my recent visit to Kerala at my uncle’s farm. My cousin is holding the fruit in her hand.